Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Good Day =)

So just a quick post about my day...kind of silly stuff but it made me very happy...

So this morning I had to go to Karin's (longtime AIM missionary in Antsirabe) house to pick up an important piece a paper...I am now legal in Madagascar...till Oct and by that time hopefully the rest of my papers will have gone through. :) And while that was good...it is not the impetus for this post. While on my walk back I had several opportunities to use my newly acquired Malagasy phrases. :) So encouraging when they actually understand you and you understand some of what they say! :)

Scenario 1:
 I walked past a group of women who called out 'Manao ahoana' (hello)
to which I replied 'Salama' (also hello)
"inona no vao vao" (any news..or what up) she inquired
"Tsy misy" (nothing much), "manao ahoana ienao" (how are you?) I answered
'salama fa misaotra' (I am fine thank you) she replied beaming :)
we then exchanged "veloma's" (goodbyes) and parted ways.

Scenario 2:
these are not so much scenarios as they are a daily occurrence now.
- Beggar children swarm or street vendors haggle me and I have now gotten quite proficient at saying "Tsy misy omena zaho azafady" (I have nothing to give, sorry.) -Azafady can mean please, excuse me or sorry depending on context.
-Pouse-Pouse drivers try to get me to take a ride in their rickshaws (which I do use occasionally) but when I do not wish to I say "Aaan, tsy mandeha pouse pouse, zaho fa mandeha tongotra" (No, I do not go by pouse pouse I go on foot...loosely translated).. or simply "Aaan misaotra" (no thank you)
-I also use "Tsy azoko" (I don't understand) and "Izay ihany no haiko" (thats all I know) quite a bit. Because as soon as I say Salama or misaotra or something they assume I know Malagasy and start attempting to engage me in conversation.

Scenario 3:
Okay this is the one I am most excited about! I tried my hand at bartering today for the first time. And I won!! :) So far the 3 rickshaw rides I have taken cost me $2000 Ariary each which is basically $1 American but a  vazah (foreignor) price here. So today I went up to a pouse-pouse driver on my way home and asked him

"Ohatrinona Ampiavina Galana" (basically how much to take me to the gas station in my neighborhood)
He replied "roa arivo" (2000)
to which I said "Aaan, lafo be" (no very expensive) "dimy-un-zato" (500 ariary) to which he countered, I think "arivo" (1000) I said "aaan misaotra" and started to walk away then one of his buddies (another pouse-pouse driver) tried to get me on his and I said "dimy un zato?" he shook his head but I just stared at him and he finally said okay "enar" (not sure how to spell that one). And one of the men watching gave me a thumbs up and said "tsara be" (very good).

That all probably seems very inconsequential but it was very exciting for me! :)

Oh an a quick update on my puppy Max. So I have decided to try an find  a new home for him...I absolutely love him to bits, but I simply do not have the time and energy for him. And once I begin taking trips with the school etc finding someone to care for him will be quite difficult. So please be praying that we (Madam Zanoa, Nina, and I) can find him a good home soon! I am going to miss him like crazy but I think it for the best.

Thats all for today have to get ready to head to class in a bit :)



3 comments:

  1. What a great accomplishment, Lauren!! So exciting! God has blessed you with a great ear for languages. That exchange with the Pouse Pouse drivers was fantastic! We love reading your stories (and talking to you, too, of course!) Keep the posts coming! We're praying for a good home for Max.

    love you! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lauren, This is amazing!!! Considering you've been in Madagascar less than a month and already bartering.......I'm really impressed!!!! I see you had already answered the question I asked you on FB about Max. I will be praying for the perfect home for the little guy. I was praying for you today. God gave me Joshua 1:3 and Psalm 91. Love you ♥♥♥ Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lauren!! I can totally picture 'the stare' that you gave that pouse-pouse driver. It made me chuckle!
    <3 Trudy

    ReplyDelete