Saturday, July 14, 2012

One month in...

Wow, I just realized that today marks the end of my first month in Madagascar. I have to say this month really flew by!

I am very excited about some new developments in my schedule here. There is an NGO here called Christian Foundation for Children and Aging (CFCA), and Karin, my facilitator, is good friends with the women who runs the offices for all of Madagascar. It is an American organization run by Malagasy people. There is a great need for all of the staff to speak English. Liva (Karin's friend) speaks wonderful English with a fabulous British accent, but most of the staff are in need of some additional training as they are required to do numerous translations of sponsers letters, and speak with sponsers etc who visit.. There are 5 sites in Antsirabe and so I will visit all the sites on a cycle, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday morning from 8-10. Practicing conversational English and assisting with any translation needs they have. It is a really neat organization that I am thriled to be able to help in a small way!

And also starting this week I will be going to a local orphanage Tuesday and Wednesday from 2-4. On Tuesdays my agenda is simply to play with the kids and have fun and on Wednesday...you guessed it....teaching English. Everywhere I go people want me to teach English. Which is somewhat amusing to me because I am the farthest thing from a teacher. However I have purchased some books on TESOL and am applying myself to become a more effective teacher. =) This particular orphanage is rather small with 13 girls and 9 boys. With ages ranging from 7-16.

I had really hoped to work with children 5 and under at the orphanage, so Domoina (a teacher @ ECA) is helping me find an orphanage in Antsirabe for young children that I can volunteer at on Thursday afternoons.

So with all of that my schedule is really starting to fill up. On Mondays and Fridays I work at ECA's Library from 9-12. On Tuesdays and Thursday I have conversation class in the evening from 6:15-7:45. On Tuesday and Fridays I have Malagasy lessons for an hour both days. Fridays are also the day when the missionaries in Antsirabe (Ryan, Amy, Karin, and myself) get together for fellowship and prayer. And keep in mind I walk everywhere so that takes up a good chunk of time as well. =)

Oh, and please be praying as I am hoping to speak with Madame Zanoa (the head of the ECA) about announcing a Bible Study for girls (with advanced 1 English and higher) on Saturdays at my house. I am thinking about going through 'Jesus With Dirty Feet' with them. This probably wont happen till Sept though since we are coming to the end of term next week.

I am also super excited that in August I get to join a medical team from the States and some of the local physicians in travelling to villages surrounding Antsirabe for a week providing much needed medical care. As I understand it we leave very early each morning, drive several hours to a remote village and spend the day caring for their medical needs and return to Antsirabe in the evening. And then head to a new village the next day. Obviousley with my limited medical skills I will most likely just take blood pressures, temperatures, weights, etc perhaps help with some bandaging....really not sure.  But it will be a great experience, I have really really been thinking and praying about getting my LPN upon returning to the states, and then pursuing medical missions.

Sorry that was kinda a dry monotonous post...but I thought it might be nice to give you a glimpse of what I am doing here. So anyways...God is awesome! Had a good week. Feeling excited and energized! Please continue to keep me in your prayers!

Misaotra Betsaka! <3




2 comments:

  1. That wasn't dry at all! I love hearing about what you are doing. Miss you and think about you lots and lots!! <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sweetie!! I love you and miss you alot as well!! *hugs*

      Delete